What is the 42,000 Steps Challenge?
Each year, 42,000 people are diagnosed with bowel cancer in the UK – it is the second largest cancer killer.
We are challenging you to walk or run 42,000 Steps in aid of Bowel Research UK.
By taking part in this challenge, you will be supporting people who are living with this brutal disease and you will help us to save and change their lives.
Take part as an individual or a virtual team walking or running your 42,000 steps (c.18 miles/32km) at your own pace. There is no time limit to this challenge!
It could be at your local park, up and down the stairs, on the school run or to the supermarket.
Get moving and help us to change the future for those living with bowel cancer and bowel disease.
How does the challenge work?
Before you start your 42,000 steps, here are our top 6 steps to complete your challenge successfully:
Sign up for the challenge by completing the short registration form. We’ll be in touch soon to support you throughout your fundraising.
Decide on your personal fundraising target. This challenge has no fundraising target – you are free to raise as much as you can!
Create your online fundraising page:
Or fundraise through a Facebook fundraiser.
Once you have your fundraising page, share it far and wide. Tell all your friends, family and colleagues about the amazing thing you are doing and ask them to sponsor you.
Start your challenge! Track your progress using your smart phone and keeping record of your steps. We recommend downloading Strava, a free mobile app available here.
Complete your challenge and get in touch to let us know. We can’t wait to hear how you get on!
About Bowel Research UK
Why is our work so important?
Bowel Research UK funds the best research into bowel cancer and bowel diseases across the UK. By funding cutting edge research and investing in the brightest and best clinical and laboratory researchers, we’re saving lives and improving people’s quality of life.
So far, we have invested over £9 million directly into research projects tackling bowel cancer and bowel disease. With your support we can do much more.
- 1M people live with a serious bowel condition.
- Bowel Cancer – 42,000 new cases diagnosed each year
- it’s the 2nd largest cause of cancer deaths (behind lung cancer)
- it’s treatable and curable especially if diagnosed in the earliest stage
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis): up to 300,000 sufferers in the UK from these conditions
- IBD is primarily a disease of the young (mostly diagnosed between at 10-35 years of age)
- Causes of both these diseases are at present unknown and there is currently no cure.
Every mile you walk, and every penny you raise will help us end bowel cancer and bowel disease.
How will you make a difference?
Taking part could change the future for those living with bowel cancer and bowel disease.
- £100 could help to buy essential equipment for our research laboratories (i.e. essential chemicals, test tubes/Plasticware, etc.)
- £500 could help in supporting one of our awareness campaigns about the importance of early diagnosis of bowel cancer
- £1,000 could help to support a PhD student whose work could lead to major new clinical trials and better treatments
If you have any questions about the challenge, we’re here to help.
Remember: You must follow Government guidelines on exercise and social distancing at all times.
Share this page: